Oscar Predictions (Part One)

Written by haskellch on Sunday, March 7, 2010 at 7:24 AM

After viewing 37 films that were nominated for the Oscars, it is time to give my thoughts as to who I think will win, should win, and I would not mind seeing win:

Best Picture
Will Win: The Hurt Locker
(This was the only film that felt like an Oscar film this year. Last year, Slumdog Millionaire made me feel the exact same way. The film hit all the right spots & therefore deserves to be rewarded.

Would Not Mind Winning: Up In The Air


Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Will Win: Jeff Bridges
(Though George Clooney was fantastic and my personal favorite from the year, Bridges just brought one of the best performances of his career and deserves every ounce of this award.)

Would No Mind Winning: George Clooney, Jeremy Renner
(In comparison, Jeremy Renner probably does not deserve to win as much as the other two, but I would definitely understand his win.


Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
Will Win: Gabourey Sidibe
(Was the toughest category to determine. Just have a feeling that with her breakthrough performance and young age, she will steal the award from Sandra Bullock.)

Should Win: Sandra Bullock
(Of all the films I have ever viewed Sandra in, I have never once enjoyed her. It grew to become a hatred for her acting, but viewing Blind Side finally provided a performance I enjoyed her in and actually wanted to see more of her in the film.)

Would Not Mind Winning: Carey Mulligan
(Carey Mulligan has won numerous awards for this performance and as a young actress in such a powerful performance, I have a small, very small feeling she could pull the upset.)


Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
Will Win: Christoph Waltz
(No one else in this category even comes close to deserving this award. Waltz blew the competition away and Inglourious Basterds was the first film of the category that I saw and thought this all the way through. This will be one that if he does not win, I will lose faith in humanity.)


Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
Will Win: Mo'Nique
(As a comedian, there is nothing more impressive than being able to turn it off and be believable. Mo'Nique accomplished that & more and became an icon for evil. She worked her ass off for this nomination and should come through in the end.)

Should Win: Anna Kendrick
(From the start, I picked Kendrick to win until I saw Mo'Nique's performance. Kendrick took a huge leap from Twilight to Up In The Air and if anyone pulled off a great performance, it was her. I secretly hope she wins, but do no see that happening.

Would Not Mind Winning: Maggie Gyllenhaal
(Maggie pulled a Bullock this year. I have never witnessed a film that I actually enjoyed Maggie in until Crazy Heart. Though her performance lacks in comparison to the prior two (Mo'Nique & Kendrick), I never say never.


***The Rest of my Predictions will be posted later today***

0 Responses to "Oscar Predictions (Part One)"