Oscar Predictions (Part Two)

Written by haskellch on Friday, March 12, 2010 at 4:44 PM

I know this is after the fact, I simply just ran out of time on Oscar day, but I would like to provide, a detailed (and honest, I did not change any of my predictions to match who won, and hopefully you believe me) prediction of what I think will win and what I wanted to win.

Best Achievement in Directing

Will Win: Kathryn Bigelow for The Hurt Locker
(Kathryn not deserves this, I can not even consider anyone else winning this one. Sure, Lee Daniels had a challenge in bringing the emotion out of his actresses (and actors), but that responsibility also relies on the talent. James Cameron produced the highest grossing film ever, but I think he forgets that there is no "I" in team. I believe wholeheartedly if The Hurt Locker is going to take Best Picture, Kathryn will lock this one in.)

Would Not Mind Winning: Jason Reitman for Up In The Air or Quentin Tarantino for Inglourious Basterds


Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen

Will Win: Inglourious Basterds
(I was on the fence with this nomination. The Hurt Locker was my original pick, but seeing the lack of wins I was giving Inglourious Basterds, I felt it deserved to take this gold because Quentin rewrote history and gave the film a style all its own. So if one screenplay deserves the gold, it would be Basterds.)

Should Win: The Hurt Locker
(Overall, the screenplay for Hurt Locker is nothing short of brilliant. Plus, since I am considering the film Best Picture and Best Director, I honestly do not doubt this will take home the gold. The story is great, which made for an absolutely great film and this film could take home the entire package.)

Would Not Mind Winning: Up


Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published

Will Win: Up In The Air
(This film is not taking home many awards in my book and that leaves me with a sour taste, since I enjoyed this film more than almost all the other films this season, so as a result I am giving the film my nod for best Adapted Screenplay. There are probably others that deserve it more, but ultimately, I want to see this one take home the gold.)

Should Win: Precious
(By far the most dramatic piece. The film relies heavily on dialogue (cussing mainly), but I am sure the screenplay is still phenomenal (especially when I hear that the book is nothing but cussing as well). So kudos for adding substance to an otherwise drab book.)


Best Achievement in Cinematography

Will Win: The Hurt Locker
(Take away Avatar & Harry Potter, since they are more CGI than cinematography (I know you use cameras with CGI as well, but it is much easier and is nothing like good old being out in the field, choosing your shots. Hurt Locker is raw and uses every single frame to tell the story. There is no wasted shots in Hurt Locker and for that alone it deserves the win. Plus, for a war film, it strays away from anything that any other war film does and for that it especially deserves the win.)

Would Not Mind Winning: Inglourious Basterds


Best Achievement in Editing

Will Win: Avatar
(Have a feeling this one of the many awards Avatar will be bringing home on Oscar night.)


Best Achievement in Art Direction

Will Win: Avatar
(If there is one award (along with Visual Effects) that Avatar should get it is this one. Not that I agree with the decision, but Avatar was a one trick pony. All it was, was beautiful landscapes and visual effects. All of which can thanked for by Art Direction. If Avatar does not win this one, it has failed on all levels.)

Would Not Mind Winning: Young Victoria
(Those sets had to take FOREVER!)


Best Achievement in Costume Design

Will Win: The Young Victoria
(Hands down, this film had the most beautiful costumes. A lot of people believe that Coco Before Chanel should win because it is about the lady that made Chanel clothing, but to be honest, it was never that great aside from a few costumes. Young Victoria goes all out while films like Bright Star had barely any costumes and Imaginarium's costumes look like they came from the dump. I see no one else winning this besides Victoria.)


Best Achievement in Makeup

Will Win: Star Trek
(I was on the fence about this award as well. Il Divo obviously did not deserve the award because only a few characters seemed to really have any makeup. I kept thinking Young Victoria would win just because of the nature of the film but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that makeup was not really an elemental part of the film seeing as they only really wore normal makeup and nothing special. Then look at Star Trek where half (or more) of the characters have prosthetic elements on their faces. By far, Star Trek took my vote.)


Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score

Will Win: Up
(I will be physically pained if Up does not win best Score. For the sole fact that when I left Up I could not stop humming the music. I think of Up and I hear the score. (When the Oscars played the Up theme, I was brought back to all the emotions caused by the film itself and that is what a score is all about). Without a doubt, Up has to win.)


Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song

Will Win: "The Weary Kind" from Crazy Heart

Would Not Mind Winning: "Take It All" from Nine


Best Achievement in Sound Mixing
Will Win: Avatar
(All of Avatar was, was created sounds. You would think it would take home the gold.)

Should Win: The Hurt Locker
(Explosions can be tricky as far as Mixing.)


Best Achievement in Sound Editing

Will Win: Avatar

Should Win: The Hurt Locker


Best Achievement in Visual Effects

Will Win: Avatar
(Honestly... if Avatar doesn't win this, James Cameron will kill everyone.)


Best Animated Feature Film of the Year

Will Win: Up
(By far, the greatest all around Animated Film this year, if not from most years. This film does so many things for so many people on so many different levels, it is no surprise that it also got Best Picture nod because in the back of your mind you kind of wish it would win it.)


Best Foreign Language Film of the Year

Only One I Saw: The White Ribbon
(Could easily win the award from what I saw. I have absolutely nothing to compare it to however.)


Best Documentary, Features

Will Win: The Cove
(I truly hope this film wins. Just because Food Inc. is already so publicized, The Cove could really use some extra publicity with such a great message and overall good film, I think this film acts like an actual dramatic film and does a great job as a PSA documentary. Would buy this film over Food Inc. any day.)


Best Short Film, Animated

Only One I Saw: Wallace & Gromit-Matter of Loaf & Death
(As the only short I viewed this year, by far it could take the gold, but once again, absolutely no basis in comparison to any of the others.)


That is all for this year. Stay tuned for my thoughts on who actually won.

0 Responses to "Oscar Predictions (Part Two)"