Paris 36

Written by haskellch on Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 9:43 PM

PARIS 36 (FAUBOURG 36)

Up For: Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song


The first thing I told myself was to take the easy way out and simply look up the four individual songs up for nominations (the fifth I had already seen in Crazy Heart) and choose from there without watching the entire films. Instead, I took the leap into the unknown of Paris 36.

Warning to many, the entire film is subtitled, something that does not bother me at all.

The song was good, catchy, and fit the film perfectly, but unsure if it deserves an Oscar. It is hard to pick a song that should win when they come from not only different genres of films but of genres of music.

Oscars aside, Faubourg 36 was a mix between Moulin Rouge and Chicago. The plot involves the restoration of a famous show house, the rising of unionization in France, and a lover's quarrel between the rich and the poor. There is so much that fills this film. So many characters, storylines, and dynamics, it is a wonder how it even made the two hour cut.

Great film. Once again, I went in thinking I would pull my hair out and ended up thoroughly pleased. If you ever want to challenge yourself, rent this film and give it at least one try. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

(24 FILMS TO GO)

0 Responses to "Paris 36"