The Oscar Challenge

Written by haskellch on Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 1:06 AM


Every year, another Academy Awards night goes by. Most years I watch the ceremony, cheering on the film, actor, or director I think should get the award. Most years, however, I hardly know who to cheer for or limit myself to who I can cheer for by not seeing most of the films nominated that year. Sadly, throughout the year I am watching more none Oscar-worthy films than the contrary.

This year, I decided to make a change. 82 ceremonies later, I have vowed to see all the feature length films (short films & foreign films excluded, due to lack of availability). This would have been an easy feat had I seen most of them throughout the year. Having seen hardly any of them, here is the list of nominees:

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song

Nominees:

Crazy Heart (2009): T-Bone Burnett, Ryan Bingham("The Weary Kind")

Faubourg 36 (2008): Reinhardt Wagner, Frank Thomas("Loin de Paname")

Nine (2009): Maury Yeston("Take It All")

The Princess and the Frog (2009): Randy Newman("Almost There")

The Princess and the Frog (2009): Randy Newman("Down in New Orleans")

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year

Nominees:

Ajami (2009)(Israel)

El secreto de sus ojos (2009)(Argentina)

Un prophète (2009)(France)

La teta asustada (2009)(Peru)

Through this challenge, I hope to see some great films that I otherwise would never have the guts to watch. I also love the direction that this challenge offers in having a list of selected films for me to view in a period of time.

Though I have already started the challenge since the nominees were announced a few weeks ago, I would like continue on and blog about each individual film and my exploration throughout these films. By the end, I hope to accomplish finally being able to select a winner out of all the categories after having seen the films.

I hope you enjoy this journey as much as I do, and I challenge you to watch as many of these films as you can.

0 Responses to "The Oscar Challenge"